Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pinwheel Scones

These are one of my favourite rainy day lunches just on their own or with some homemade soup.
First make a basic scone dough. I use the Edmonds Book recipe.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 20cm wide and 1 cm thick and spread with a tomato relish-homemade would be best but I use Pam's variety and it's pretty yummy. Thick tomato sauce would be ok too. Leave about 2cm bare along one long edge.
Next add a sprinkling of grated cheese
Then start rolling it up from the long edge. If it gets stuck to your work surface slide a knife along underneath as you roll.
 
When you get to your bare edge stop and brush it with a bit of water then continue rolling so it sticks together.
Using a sharp serrated knife slice your roll into rounds about 2cm thick.
 Place pinwheels on a greased or lined baking tray. 
Bake at 200 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.
Get creative with your toppings-pineapple and ham, custard and fruit, apple, cinnamon and brown sugar...let me know what you've tried before or what you'd like to try.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Yummy!! Will be making some of these tomorrow for sure! Savoury I think, but definately apple cinnamon later in the week!
    Finally linked to your blog re: hessian stitching, sorry it's taken so long, the dark days have meant pic taking has been limited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look soooooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm always interested to hear your feedback on my posts and enjoy finding new people to visit so please leave a comment.